Current or Recently Completed Grants
Total involvement in grants to date: approximately $63 million (including grant income earned in UK £ and euros; non-USD conversions to USD using currency conversion rate on date of contract issuance).
- As Principal Investigator: approx. $25 million.
- Additional grants as Co-P.I. or researcher: $38 million.
Grants and Sponsors (last 10 years)
- Urban Big Data for Trusted Smart Statistics. European Commission – Eurostat. Principal Investigator. Feb 2018.
- Social and Economic Implications of Transport Sharing and Automation. Economic & Social Research Council. PI. Under contract. Expected to start Jan 2018.
- Social Analytics Strategic Network (SASNet). Economic and Social Research Council. Principal Investigator, 2016-2017.
- Urban Development, Migration, Segregation and Inequality. Economic and Social Research Council, joint project with Chinese Academy of Social Sciences. Co-I. 2015-2016.
- Social Transport with Urban Big Data. European Commission. Approved, contract pending. Principal Investigator. 2014-2018.
- Urban Big Data Centre. Economic and Social Research Council. Principal Investigator and Director. 2014-2019.
- Active Travel and the Role of Information Technology: A Survey-Based Study in Glasgow. Funded by Glasgow Future City Demonstrator/UK Technology Strategy Board. Principal Investigator. 2013-2014.
- Scottish Administrative Data Research Centre. Economic and Social Research Council. Co-PI. 2013-2018.
- Impacts of Land Use Patterns and Public Transit Availability on the Economic and Environmental Sustainability of Electric Vehicles. US National Science Foundation Science, Engineering and Education for Sustainability program. Supervisor of Dr. Elizabeth Traut, NSF-SEES fellow.
- Exploring Traffic Safety Risks to Child Pedestrians in Glasgow, 2013. Funded by University of Glasgow, Urban Studies.
- Big Data and Urban Informatics: e-Infrastructure for Social Science Research on Sustainable Urban Systems. Principal Investigator until December 2012. Funded by National Science Foundation, 2012-2014.
- Urban Informatics, Big Data and Community Engagement: A Study of Enabling Organizations. Principal Investigator. Funded by Institute for Policy and Civic Engagement, 2012-2013.
- Next Generation Intermodal Passenger Transportation System. Principal Investigator until December 2012. Funded by Illinois Department of Transportation. 2011-2013.
- Analysis of Bicycle Crashes in Chicago Metropolitan Area. Principal Investigator. Funded by Active Transportation Alliance. 2011-2012.
- Post-Implementation Evaluation of Emissions Benefits Of CMAQ Projects: Phase 2. Principal Investigator. Funded by Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning. 2010-2011.
- Transportation Alternatives for Persons with Disabilities. Principal Investigator. U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration. 2010-2011.
- Analysis of Employment Transportation Services for the JobLinks Program. Principal Investigator. U.S. Department of Labor through the Community Transportation Association of America. 2009-2011.
- Land-Use and Economic Impacts of Freight Transportation. Co-PI. National Center for Freight and Infrastructure Research – University of Wisconsin. 2008-2010.
- Integrative Graduate Program in Computational Transportation Science. Co-PI. National Science Foundation. 2005-2011.
- Evaluation of Transportation for Disadvantaged Populations. Principal Investigator. U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Transit Administration. 2009-2011.
- Locational Privacy: Legal and Policy Options. Principal Investigator. U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration. 2008-2011.
- Post-Implementation Evaluation of Emissions Benefits of CMAQ Program. Principal Investigator. Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning.
- Design of Special Events, Weather and Construction Delay Component of a Dynamic Traveler Information System. Principal Investigator. NAVTEQ, LLC. 2007-2008.